In my last post I mentioned some fun things to do if you leave the airport during a layover, but what about tips for those who don’t want to venture out? Aside from the obvious (restroom break, eating, buying magazines, etc.), here are some additional tips for making the most out a of a layover if you stay inside the airport:
- The Travel Channel’s Layover Guide has a fantastic suggestion: see if you can a one-day pass to your airline’s airport club. In addition to relaxing in a quiet space on comfortable furniture, you’ll probably get free food, wifi, and/or booze, depending on the airline.
- Recharge your electronics. You won’t want your laptop/iPad/iPod’s batteries to die mid-flight.
- Exchange some currency. While the exchange rates at the airport may not be the best deal around, it’s a good idea to have some of the correct currency upon arrival.
- Walk around. This is probably a no-brainer to most of you for health reasons, but you never know what you may find while walking around an airport. For example, during a recent layover in Kuala Lumpur, my husband and I found a Harrods Tea Salon and shop. He had never been to the store in London before, so we killed the time sipping tea and eating sandwiches.
- Shop duty free. But just a heads up, it may be difficult to bring alcohol into countries with strict rules about alcohol. (Some of my friends were unable to bring wine into the Maldives.)